Monday, December 5, 2011

Weekend Bits



Strawberry shortcake that the Chef at Silverspoon made special for Opa
Sparkly blue sticker nails on black velvet leggings
Sally Hansen Salon Effects nail stickers - they work so well!
Red roses from me to me


The Austrian Village!
Which of these three doesn't belong?
The table
Accordian player
Our tree
Maple Pumpkin cheesecake
Me & dad's Sunday dinner: burgers, roasted potato fries, green bean and kimchi

A funny thing happened this morning. Well, actually two funny things happened this morning. First my phone alarm went off at 6:38 am this morning as it does every weekday morning. I promptly looked at it, rolled over and laughed to myself, "Ha! Stupid phone alarm! It must be confused between my weekday and weekend alarm settings!" You see. I truly believed it was Sunday...

Second funny is that when I finally realized it was Monday... at 7:30 when I woke up again (my train comes at 8:06) I quickly checked weather.com on my phone which I do every weekday morning. 68 and sunny! Yes! La-dee-dah-dee-doo... no jacket today!

Turns out even though I set my default locations on weather.com months ago to be the town where I live and the town where I work, my default location had been somehow mysteriously reset to Ha'il Saudi Arabia. I have no idea how this happened or how long this has been going on. I would reckon to say about two weeks since lately I've been dressing grossly inappropriate for the weather. No wonder people have been looking at me oddly these days when I walk to the train station in my light spring-time bomber jacket and thin-material trousers while they are bundled up in winter coats, gloves and hats. "Oh these people," I would think while trembling, "they have no idea it's supposed to be sunny and go up to 61 today!"

Turns out the jokes on me. Both times. iPhone: 2. Courtney: 0.

I've also come up with a mathmatical formula about my humor that seems to be 99.9% accurate. It turns out that there's a directly proportionate inverse relationship between how funny my blog post is and the amount of sleep I got the night before I wrote it.... the less sleep I get the funnier I am. Thank you, Anxiety<3, for keeping me awake all last night and for making me funnier. Totally worth it.

Anxiety<3: 1. Courtney: 0.

In other news... I hope you enjoy my pictures from the weekend. On Saturday, my family celebrated my Opa's 82nd birthday at the Austrian Village - an authentic German restaurant in Rockledge, PA. It was a very down-home kind of place with linoleum flooring, pitchers of beer, waitresses wearing shirts saying "Schnitzel Happens," an accordian player and polka-dancing. We sat in our own private room called the Schwaben Stube (house of Swabia) and ate schnitzel (which is just breaded pork cutlet), delicious german potato salad and the best sauerkraut I've had yet, pickled beets, warm and tangy red cabbage, spaetzle (thick german noodles with what tasted like turkey gravy on top) and black forest cake. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of the food because my phone died - but I assure you, any photos of the food would not be pretty. Sometimes the most quality things aren't what they appear :)

We also sang "Hail, Hail the Gang's All Here" (my new favorite song, kid you not) and did our own version of "polka dancing" otherwise known as "Der Ententanz" - the Chicken polka dance. And if you want a visual, this is what my Opa looked like doing the Der Ententanz (see girl in pink)...





No comments: